Thursday, November 3, 2011

Wild Weekend Wanderings



NaBloPoMo 2011






The Epic Adventures of a Modern Mom

Updates:

NaNoWriMo: 2,174 words today, for a total of 6,262 words. My goal total for the 3rd was to be at 6,000 words so everything there is cooking just right. It was a little harder to get going today, but my 8 yr old DD has been sick since Saturday with a cold and is just having a miserable time...so mama doesn't get much sleep, capisci?

NaBloPoMo:

Well, I'm taking care of that one right now. Except I'm trying to follow their blog prompts, so need to take a minute and go check that out.

Thursday, November 3, 2011
Can you listen to music and write? What song did you hear today?

OK, there it is. Oh, heck yes, I can listen to music and write at the same time. I listen mostly to country music (stop groaning, city sisters and brothers). But my laptop is in what could be grandiosely called our dining area, which spills over into the living room, where the tv is usually on Science, Military, or Nick Jr channels, so music per se does not really enter into is a lot. My music time is usually when I'm driving alone in a vehicle. Then I crank it up, unless I'm at a stop sign or in a neighborhood. Then I turn it down a little bit. But there is a song stuck in my head from a commercial right now...I know it's been on the radio, but the name just isn't coming to me, but I remembered another snippet of the tune just now, so maybe it will come to me eventually.

2011 Gratitude Challenge - Day 3:
I am grateful to my mother and father for having me and honor the struggles they went through raising a family. It's not a job for wimps, that's for sure. Dad was agnostic, but went to church with us on Christmas and Easter, and when my brother or I played the piano. Mom was raised Christian Scientist and followed that Christian denomination until she passed away at the end of March of this year. Towards the end of her life, she stopped going to church, though, and for the most part, no one from the church contacted her. That always made me a little sad. I did not know my mother's father had been an alcoholic until maybe ten years ago. I wish I had, because that would have made some of her actions more understandable. And we might have been able to talk about it. Parents, please don't be afraid to be human.

My father passed away in 1979, when he was 47 and I was 17. I was in a play in high school at the time called "Lazarus Laughed". And I was very nearly stabbed for real by a Roman soldier character on stage. So that was a difficult time. Dad was the oldest of four siblings, children of a farmer turned railroad man and the first of his family to graduate college. I remember attending the ceremony at WVU where his doctoral degree was conferred.

They worked...hard...their whole lives to make sure my brother and I had every opportunity. Although we frequently disagreed on what those opportunities should be, I know without a doubt that they meant the best.

Finding New Friends Blog Hop:
I've been doing blog hops for a while and this is my 2nd FNF submission. They are great for building followers and comments on your blog if you are new to the blogosphere and help to keep anyone's blog reading fresh, because there are always new folks hopping along. By and large, I have found a very supportive community and it is (they are?) GREAT!

Blog Hop Till You Drop:
Another great group of bloggers. Check out a couple of the group...you never know where the next great idea is going to come from, right?

Peace out, y'all! :O)

5 comments:

  1. I'm following you by GFC from the Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop. I'd love if you'd stop by my blog too.

    Lisa

    http://frugalmommieof2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit and follow, frugalmommieof2! I finally broke the 100 followers barrier. Huzzah! I need lots of help with that frugal word, so I'll probably be checking out your blog on a regular basis! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im following you from th Blog Hop. Cute Blog.

    Barb
    http://www.smartypantsfreeprintables.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now following via GFC: mhcommet

    I'm following from Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop!!

    Would love a follow back on my blog: This That and A Little More:
    http://thisthatandalittlemore-itscomplicated.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the follow and kind comment, Barb. On my way to your blog. :O)

    ReplyDelete