Tuesday, October 8, 2013

#31 Days - Diggin Into the Veggies

  Secret Obsession


While knowing what vegetables to plant (from last week's post), is an important first step, much, MUCH more needs to be done.  First, I will reiterate my revised list of vegetables I would like to have in the garden:

asparagus
carrots
celery
corn
cucumber
lettuce
onion
potatoes
spinach
sugar beets

So, what does one need for a garden:
1.  A place to plant:  CHECK.
2.  Seeds.
     a.  harvest from veggies we consume this year.
     b.  a source of seeds would need to be found.
          1.  local stores, gardens, farmers' markets, etc.
          2.  online sources

Eden Brothers - Only place in over a day of searching that had sugar beet seeds.
Territorial Seed Company - found through a search for heirloom seeds
My Patriot Supply - found through a search for non-GMO seeds.

(I have no connection business or otherwise to, nor agreement with, any of the above businesses/sites.)

Now, we've planted seeds bought from local store which have grown and produced fruits and vegetables.  But there is a lot of literature out there about why heirloom and/or non-GMO (genetically modified organism) seeds are better for us and for the earth.  One such article is posted at Care2, a website dedicated to making the world a better place.

3.  Tools


(This photo is in the public domain, but I just wanted to say I found it on Wikimedia Commons.)

Basically, you need something with which to dig, something with which to rake and/or hoe, some clippers wouldn't go astray, some kind of tool to weed as needed.  If your garden is going to be larger than your average plot, looking into machinery is the next step.  

You need to decide where you fall on the granola scale.  On the one end, there are folks who want to use herloom seeds, organic fertilizer and only human or animal power.  On the other end is the type that I have been up till now.  I bought seeds at the dollar store, because it was too late in the season for Walmart to have seeds left on the shelves.  I used tools that had been laying around for decades until they broke, and Chris went to the nearby hardware/garden store.  We used some kind of fertilizer from a bag.  

See, hubby's family has farmed for generations.  Up until this year, I helped out in my mother's garden and I've grown a few things in pots.  So I have a LOT to learn.

This is where knowing what your values are can help you make decisions.  For 2014,  I'm going to see if my husband's great-uncle (a FT farmer) will do the initial plowing for us in exchange for getting hay for his animals from our field.  He has done it before when his sister (our Mamaw) was living.  I would like to transition to a method that uses more human and animal power as opposed to gas-powered machinery.  But that takes more time and physical activity.  That's not a bad thing ... I will have to balance the benefits of such activity with my abilities (and those of the family) as I get older.

This post is part of my 31 Days Challenge series.  For an overview of the posts, and links to each day's post, visit my introductory post here.

*+*+*+*+*

The October Daily challenge prompt for today is:

"Share a blogging/photography tip or tutorial."

Are you ready?

Respond to your comments and blog for the benefit of others.

Go here for links to more tips and/or tutorials.

*+*+*+*+*




3 comments:

  1. How wonderful and how fun! I remember the days we lived in a huge country house and would dig for vegetables and even potatoes!
    Your children must love it too! Good luck with your uncle next year. I love Wood panneling too my friend, thanks for the lovely and sweet comments. Big hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, let me say I LOVE your blogging tip! That is so essential when it comes to blogging. Even if it is only a line or two, it still lets your readers know that they are important to you. I blog because writing is something I love to do...but I do try to make it for the benefit of others...either information or enjoyment. I'm learning so much from you LuAnn!

    As far as your gardening post...I don't know if you are familiar with these two seed companies or not...Johnny's Seeds (I believe they are in Maine) and American Seed Company. My husband is a great gardener and those two are his go-to resources for seeds. Just thought I'd mention them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Fabby - Well, they're not too thrilled with the work, but they do like seeing the "baby plants" and watching them grow! That country house must have been gorgeous! Thanks for your visit!

    @Dianna - I SO appreciate the tips on the seed companies, and have bookmarked both sites. And you're makin' me blush with the compliments, but I'm glad you've found something useful here. :O)

    ReplyDelete