Tuesday, March 11, 2014

National Wormhole Week - Space Travel




Genesis 1:8 - And God called the firmament Heaven.  And the evening and the morning were the second day.

*+*+*+*+*

 I'm sure some folks are wondering why I've included a Bible verse at the beginning of my Wormfest posts.  Since I'm not a fantastically scientific or techie type person, I thought the idea of what happened day by day in "Creation Week" would provide a framework from which I could approach this new project.

So since on day 2, the heavens were created, mankind's attempts to conquer (or at least to interact with) the sky seemed an appropriate topic.  Think how much air travel has changed our lives.  We can travel back and forth across the globe in a day, a journey which used to take weeks or months.

But then, what was supposed to be a boon for transportation could also be used as a weapon of terror.

Since that time, we have been into outer space.  Men have walked on the moon and brought back some of its rocks to the earth.  We've seen pictures from Mars and from the outer reaches of our galaxy.

Of course, you run into the problem with human space travel, that some of these places take a long, LONG time to reach.  We're talking years.  It seems like every time we make one "giant leap", we find out how exponentially MORE there is to know, learn or experience.

But space travel has been used by governments to seed the skies with satellites to spy on other countries, and on their own citizens.  What could be used to advance humankind is being used to control it, or to attempt to control it, or to maintain the status quo.

Wow...I'm not usually so "dark" in my thoughts.  So maybe I'll stop there and end with another quote:

"Nothing is either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Hamlet, IIii)

11 comments:

  1. Hi LuAnn, *Happy Dance! Happy Dance!* Who would have thought such dark thoughts over such innocuous things as air travel and traveling at the speed of light would make me so happy? Well, to be perfectly honest, that is not what it is at all. It is the thought of you, being a part of the A to Z Challenge with me and the rest of the A to Z crew! *Happy Dance! Happy Dance!* Mary aka Viola Fury at
    www.homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com A to Z Challenge Theme Reveal BlogFest – Sign Up Now #atozchallenge #atozreveal

    ReplyDelete
  2. LuAnn, you're putting me to shame. I didn't realize that we had to blog each day about something different.
    Every scientific advance seems to have a drawback. Travel is so important now. Travel destinations and fighter bombers. Some things we don't think twice about, including all those satellites in the sky.
    Enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that's strictly a requirement, Fanny, just my take on it. It helps me to think about it that way, to get over my resistance and distractions from everyday life sometimes.

      Delete
  3. I happen to love the bible verse at the beginning. After all, God did create everything. Love the quote...so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I was a little nervous...but I had to follow. :O)

      Delete
  4. So sad that everything has a negative side. I love your AJ Hooligans badge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Jo, me too. I so want to be a 'glass half-full' kinda gal, too.

      Not sure who made the badge. I think AJ told us and I've been looking in my emails, but haven't found it so far. It is a cute l'il owl.

      Delete
  5. I didnt plan to blog every day for wormfest week either! But I certainly enjoyed your take on travel issues, LuAnn.
    Have fun with the #atozchallenge, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Jemima! I'm hoping maybe I got it wrong, because you see how well that posting every day worked out for me. Oh well. I blame it on a wormhole! :p

      Delete
  6. Hope I'm better late than never here...
    I hadn't considered aire travel, probably becasue I'm already leery of it, but what good point you make.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete